Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Buying Organic And Local On The Lane

My favorite salad right now is a caprese salad...field greens, sliced mushrooms, carrots, tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella and a lovely drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette...served with side of grilled chicken or shrimp and a glass of vino, magnifico!  Here in New England, there are many organic farms (Northeast Organic Farming Association, NOFA) and wonderful farmer's markets and regular markets where you can buy local and organic.  I buy Connecticut grown produce at several small markets in my area and at my local farmer's market every Friday, June-October.  I like the idea of supporting local farmers, and that my fresh produce, meat and dairy are not shipped in, making my carbon footprint a bit lighter in the process.  Plus, fresh really does taste different...and better.  I've noticed that most of my favorite restaurants are also buying local and organic.  Since I'm too lazy and busy to cultivate a vegetable garden of my own, this is the next best thing to picking tomatoes right off the vine.  My life on the lane is fresher these days, and organic and tasty! 

No comments:

Post a Comment